Monday, August 15, 2016

Cars...



As some of you know, I drive a lot. My world view is framed by the shape of my windshield. I have trekked across the country up and down the eastern seaboard... a long route 101 in California.. Canada... and  in the UK where everything is different... and after a dreadful flight, no sleep, and some airport coffee made for a stimulating experience for all involved.  Round-abouts are not for the faint of heart.... I digress..

I started driving late in life. Mid twenties... I was avid walker, public transportation rider and bicycled a lot.... This is because of poverty not necessarily any environment awareness. It was survival... I had to make due with what I had. I lived in places where one could live without a car pretty comfortably. That framed my edges and growth.

It became apparent at some point that I would need to get a car and start  on that road to another kind of independence and expansion. I did not have a lot of money then, most of my cars were  recycling projects that required endless prodding, encouragement, swearing... and tinkering. I could not talk about the environment... I was part of the problem,  a kind of mobile "Superfund Site" that left puddles and pools of fluids everywhere... belching smoke... and weird noises... sometimes loud  noises. Yet these rusty auto projects and poverty taught me a lot.... how to fix things... how to ignore a "check engine" light that comes on at a particular mileage point... how to patch a muffler together with baling wire and plumbing parts.......change a tire.... I am an artist when it comes to Bondoing rust....problem solving glitches... etc... All good life skills. Unfortunately, I never got to make my car noises on Car Talk... bummer...

As I have progressed in my work, the  cars have gotten less life threatening and more environmentally aligned (to the relief of family and friends).  And the journey continues...

From  Facebook  this year,  some of you know I'm in the market for a new car. My trusted chariot... 1998  Honda CRV is in it's last days (227,7774.9 miles) Car shopping in never easy and its a necessary evil in the process of weeding out what you can get for what you got and can finance... it takes time... research...  and listening to sometimes disingenuous cars sales people... test drives... and reading the fine print.

I need to resolve my car choices  this week I have many more miles to put on the road this year and next. And if any of you could throw some good car mojo  my way that would be great... or if you have a lead on a car car that could fit in my world let me know.  I'll keep you all informed about my progress and the new wheels....






1 comment:

  1. I have a 2006 Honda Accord in good condition in Lancaster,PA (needs a good cleaning on the interior and some scratches on the outside but runs great, no issues). I'm asking $6,000. 717-538-6392 if interested. Blessings & happy car shopping!

    ReplyDelete